Choosing the right course

Every year, many Barnsley young people with SEND move on to Higher Education and go to University.

Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA)

Disabled students allowance is available to help students in higher education with the extra costs they may incur on their course due to their learning difficulty and/or disability. This can include an ongoing health condition, mental health condition or any particular learning difficulty. Find out more and how to apply with UCAS

Student Finance England (SFE)

Student finance is a type of loan available to help cover your course and living costs. Find out more about how to apply for student finance

When to make an application

It is important to make your application as early as possible. This will make sure the right support is in place for when you start your course. You can apply for Disabled Students Allowance and Student Finance from the beginning of March onwards.

Other important information

The Disabled Student’s Allowance (DSA) will need a copy of your Education Health and Care Plan (EHCP) as part of their assessment. The following details can be given to ensure this happens, email:,telephone: (01226) 773966, address: EHC Team, BMBC, PO Box 634, Barnsley, S70 9GG.

    • Once it is confirmed which Higher Education Institution it is you are to attend, it is important they have a copy of your EHCP. Please ensure the relevant person at the University contacts the EHC Team using the contact details above.
    • If you are entitled to, and receive Adult Social Care Services, Barnsley Council will maintain the support. This includes you moving to a new location for your course.
    • If you move location for your course, but return to a different location during the holiday periods, Barnsley Council will make arrangements to ensure ongoing support is in place.
    • Please ensure you speak with your social worker as early as possible so that the right support can be arranged for you.

Contact us

Moving into higher education