Post 19 qualifications and pathways

Higher education

This is an option for those who wish to continue their education after the age of 18 and usually after having completed both secondary and further education. Higher Education takes place at universities, specialist institutions like agricultural colleges or conservatoires or further education colleges. And the qualifications you can study include degrees, HND, HNC and Foundation Degrees.

Find out more about UCAS and support to go to university.

Further education

Some people choose to continue studying at this level to boost their qualifications, skills and knowledge.

Find out more about further education with:

Gap year

Taking a gap year can help you learn new skills, travel and build up your CV. You could volunteer, travel, get a job, do some work experience or take a part-time job.

Visit BUNACCamp America or Not Going to Uni for more information about gap years.


An internship is like an extended period of work experience. It enables you to work in a company and gain skills and experience in a particular industry or role. Placements can be paid and un-paid and competition is fierce.

Find out more about City Internships.

Study overseas

Did you know you can choose to study abroad? All the benefits of doing a degree at university but with the advantage of developing language skills and the opportunity to find out about a different culture.


Find out more about studying overseas or find out more about the Erasmus programme 


Apprenticeships offer you a job with training. Usually, 80% of your working week is spent with the employer and then 20% studying for your qualification. You get to earn and learn.

Find out more about GOV.UK's information on apprenticeships or read GOV.UK's guidance on higher and degree apprenticeships.

Find out more about apprenticeships at Barnsley Council.


At 18 or 19 you may decide you want a job. 

Find out more about getting a job.