A meaningful work experience placement is a great way for young people to get an experience of being in the workplace and to find out about a particular industry, helping them to be inspired, meet new role models and decide whether a particular industry interests them or not.
Benefits to you as a company, include:
- providing an insight into your company and industry
- Young people offer a younger perspective on your work, which can be really beneficial
- It could be a development opportunity for some of your staff, as they will need to communicate, coach and potentially inspire a teenager!
- It gives a chance to “give back” to the local community
- Opportunity to act as role models and share with young people the range of opportunities available to them
According to UKCES two-thirds of employers said work experience was critical when recruiting a young person, but in some areas of the country only a third of employers offer work experience. If you think it is essential, then contact Richard Shaw on 01226 773437 or firstname.lastname@example.org who can help you to offer work experience placements.
If you are looking for ways to make the work experience more meaningful – try these links:
Employer guides to offering work experience https://www.gov.uk/government/collections/employer-guides-to-work-experience
Work Inspiration Toolkit – http://www.bitc.org.uk/programmes/workinspiration